Success tips for job seekers.
Resume Writing Do’s
- List relevant work experience in chronological order, beginning with your most recent employer. Include name of the company, the position held and dates including the month and year.
- When describing job responsibilities, be clear, concise and to the point.
- Double-check that you have used proper grammar, appropriate punctuation and correct spelling throughout.
- Try to keep the body of your resume clean and contained to one page, if possible. If you have to use an additional sheet, be certain that your first and last names are listed at the top of each page.
- If you list references on your resume, contact them first to let them know the job(s) for which you are applying, and to ask if it is acceptable for potential employers to contact them.
- Have a third party review your resume after it has been completed. They can sometimes catch errors that you have missed.
- Keep a list of all of the places to which you apply for follow up.
Resume Writing Don’ts
- Do not use a photograph on your resume.
- Do not use paper in colors other than white or ivory
- Do not put your date of birth, gender or marital status in your resume.
- Exclude hobbies, personal interests or “general” objectives.
- Don’t be excessively wordy. Hiring managers have dozens of resumes to sort through. Make yours easy to read.